3.9 104
Florida 211886
7-10 Jun 2008
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

During our PCS to Eglin, my wife and I decided to tour around Florida for the month of June before I sign in at Eglin. We are headed to the Keys and decided to stop here along the way and spend a few nights for some shopping and lying on the beach. Maybe we just expected more, having just come from the white sand beaches around Destin. We came in through the Dale Mabry gate. Only one lane was open so I went for it. It was certainly wide enough for our class A and tow car, but the TSgt Cop thought we should have waited for them to open the far outside lane. Sorry, I wasn't going to wait as Outdoor Rec was going to close for the evening in about 30 minutes. So the last thing I wanted to do was to wait on the gate guards to open a lane just for me. The TSgt was slightly irritated that I drove a motorhome through a car lane, so I promised not to go through that particular lane again. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the fam camp from the front gate. There are very few signs directing you to the location. Hopefully, you know where you are headed. We had already familiarized ourselves via Google Maps and knew the campground was at the very back of the base. I did feel a little uncomfortable driving that close to the driving range as I know where some of my shots go. I was hoping no errant shots were headed our way as we drove by. They do have a large area to pull in/out of at Outdoor Rec when you sign in. That makes life real easy with a 34ft as you pull in one side and exit another. They are in the process of pouring concrete pads in many of the sites. We couldn't get any with concrete as they were letting it cure. No biggie. We found ourselves on site 43 not too far from the laundry or the beach. Most of the sites are still dead grass which splashes over everything when it rains. Unless you have big pads on your jacks, your rig will settle a little into the ground. Only the 110v part of the power did not work. I pulled out an adaptor and ran a cord from another 30 amp socket on another power box. I run two power cords so I can run both A/Cs at the same time, hence the need for the 110v. They have WiFi and cable at the sites which we found very useful. After being on the white sands at Destin, we were disappointed with the beach here. It was probably due to the water being from the bay and not open water that you had a definite harbor smell. We did see a dead shark on the beach. It was probably 18 inches long. Lots of Heron and Ibis flying about, along with a Coast Guard C-130 & a KC-135 doing touch-n-gos. Overall, we would stay here again as you can't beat the price and amenities of being on an installation, but it would be as a stop-over, not as our final destination.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or