4.5 201
Arizona 180908
Sep 2015 then Dec-Feb 2016
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

First time at DM. What an outstanding place! I can truly see why this place has been a true destination place for the "snow birds". I want to thank the management and Command for all they did for us while we had numerous hospital stays while here. For the others that had commented about the rotations, GET OVER IT !!. I'm sure the changes that some others suggested have ruffled feathers, but, DM in my eyes is still a great destination for the winter. I would suggest going to the "Pima County Fairgrounds" if your unable to adjust to the changing times and start 15 more years using the County facilities, this place is super!!  While we were here one of the "snow birds" was so distraught and threatening in the office the Security Forces had to be called. From what some of the people that have been coming here for years told me they would start standing in line at the office an hour or two before they open to get a site that was checking out that morning, after securing the site at the office they would pull their rig to that site and sit there and wait until they pulled out. Now, there is none of that, your put on a list (non-contract people), the management drives around the park at 10:00am confirming departures and empty sites, then about 11:00 you're able to pull into an assigned site. Now for the last few reviewers; Its a shame that you had to make a "new" profile to make your post on this website. Its also shameful that you are trying to verbally destroy one of the best FamCamps in the Military system.  The facilities are great at DM, washer/dryers and always have something to do. The "management" is extremely helpful and courteous. Although the wifi is there and they have been working on it, it can use improvement.  Movie nights, campfire get together and the local RV dealers do BBQs at the FamCamp (Military/Veteran appreciation). The talk was that the "overflow" sites were going to be looked at converting to full hook-up sites in the future. That would make a big change too.  I cant wait to return this fall and spend another winter here. Thanks again to the DM Command and Management for helping us through such difficult times.... 
Report this review Was this review helpful? 7 12

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
(Updated: May 17, 2016) May 17, 2016
Get over what? Rules that change, open sites, and a manager so defensive, that she and her husband actually followed a lady back to her site because she felt slighted. A lady that for days afterward, still didn't know what she had said so offensive. Security should have been called on the manager. Maybe if you had been coming here for more than 1 year, I would put more credence in your comments. So you had a good experience. Does that mean that some of the other complaints aren't justified. I've been coming here for 9 years and this place was the model of efficiency, consistency and fairness. Maybe if the office knew how to work the computer system, they wouldn't have to go around to physically check sites to see if they are empty. The computer would tell them which sites were opening up for that day. By having to drive around to check sites, if the person who was due out that day hadn't left yet, they had no idea that site was open. That is why there were so many open sites. And I'm not buying that all these open sites were contracted sites. First of all, most people leave something in their site when they leave for a short time. Second of all, I saw empty sites near me all the time, and when they were filled, it was different people that moved in. I will say it's not the office personnel fault that they did not know how to use the system or get the most out of it. It's the managers fault for not training them properly. Of course for her to train them properly, she would have to know how to use it herself.
Your comment, "From what some of the people that have been coming here for years told me they would start standing in line at the office an hour or two before they open to get a site that was checking out that morning, after securing the site at the office they would pull their rig to that site and sit there and wait until they pulled out", is totally erroneous. That's not even close to the way it was run before. The reason people got there early was to sign up for the overflow list. These people were the ones that were coming out of a full hookup site and going into overflow to come back into the park. At 0800 when the office opened, the people waiting would be given a number in the order in which they got there, and then would be put back on the list when they're number was called.
The people who were going into a full hookup site had to be there at 0900 and it didn't matter how early they got there. At 0900, the office staff would start assigning sites according to the list. These people were also told not to go to their assigned site until the previous people had left it. And these policies were followed the exact same way every day. And that was one of the problems under the new management. First of all they changed the times. Nothing wrong with that at all. But people were told to be there at a certain time, and when they showed up, they found out that sites were all ready being assigned starting much earlier. No consistency is a problem. Once again, if you had been coming here more than one year, you would know all this.
All that being said, Davis-Monthan FamCamp is a great place and I've no doubt, the office staff will do better and things run smoother. I plan on being back for my 10th year.
1 results - showing 1 - 1