Washington 131311
August 2011
(Updated: August 17, 2011)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Great park from the standpoint of privacy, beauty of surroundings, security, mostly large sites, and the overwhelming smell of pine! Be sure you have reservations in the summer as this place is packed particularly on weekends from May until October. Direct phone to camp office is 253-967-8282 and Sharon seems to be the most knowledgeable of the staff. Directions are correct in review below (make sure you go to the NORTH gate), but if you don't have a military vehicle registration decal on your windshield, you will be directed to the Visitor Center next to the main gate for a decal and/or visitor pass. My husband had to jockey our fifth wheel back and forth behind parked cars in the VC parking lot while he waited for me to go through a line of 50 people for my turn! Security here is high right now. Cost is ridiculous compared to military parks across the nation. 50AMP and lakeside is $25 a nite and if you want 50AMP, you will be on a lakeside site as there are only 3 others in the park. Lakeside doesn't mean you can see the lake, BTW. Most sites seem pretty level, but be sure your RV will fit on the site you are assigned -- some are pull throughs with plenty of space or NO space at all. One van was parked on a corner pull through and had to put up orange cones so people wouldn't run over them! Very tight, lots of curves getting through the park. Does need a field day to clean up not only overgrowth, but trash and cigarette butts. Two docks for boating and fishing, nice log cabins, plenty of woods/shade, noisy if on the road side of the park as freeway is not far either, Bistro on the other side of the lake is nearest restaurant. And you will not want to leave the base during rush hours, as the traffic on I-5 near any of the base exits and the dome in Tacoma is at a standstill then and on the weekends (expect delays wherever you go!). Did not use the shower/laundry as we are self contained. Staff very helpful to accommodate our extended time needs due to VA tests. Nice adventure rental center as part of camp office -- can rent just about anything for summer fun.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or