3.7 39
Virginia 75107
6 July 2013
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We want to write a good review but can't.... we agree with most posts. It's a shame - could be very nice (and will be in 5-10 years after maturation and cost reduction). BTW: we live in the area and so leverage Pohick State Park often (and we loved Quantico's LUNGA until it was closed). This place is still learning how to operate (kids checking us in didn't have the process down). No signs or directions. Layout is not well thought out (appears designer never camped) > most impressive is the keyed entry/exit gates. Modern bathhouse poorly situated (and not clean; no TP, etc.). We were just unlucky I guess... we booked right after the place opened and it was a scorching weekend six weeks later when we setup our little RV (Rialta > not sure how bigger rigs could take the turns in the park)... with all the concrete and asphalt it was well over 100* with all the hard-scape radiating. Since they bulldozed all the trees to build the place there is NO SHADE anywhere on the place. Positives to some would be the cable and wifi, and all sites full service (but we don't take those things with us to get away and I don't hook sewer/water most of the time we go places so wasted amenities/costs to us). We were right 'by' the water but there's no paths and my girlfriend fell while trying to maneuver down some rock embankments. I so wish I could have volunteered to give guidance and help with requirements [guess that's what really bothers me... I suspect this effort was the last job a poorly performing civil servant did while relegated to retiring on a MWR tour.. surely no military member who ever did duty in the field would have created what this is]. Sounds harsh but this could have been a jewel and it should be in reach financially for our enlisted/backbone members -- it is surely too expensive for the troops. We know this will get better and folks should give it a try (in cool weather it would be fine)... but for $28 dollars one can camp at a mature, well designed, heavily wooded campground eight (8) miles south on the Potomac (Pohick)! Good luck folks.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 9 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
July 09, 2013
Well written review, thank you. I hope you sent an ICE online comment. I think the ICE link is provided. Maybe someone at the fort is reading them instead of just responding with the canned response we seen so far. All the best. Bob in Florida
1 results - showing 1 - 1