Texas 163526
June 9-13, 2014
(Updated: July 27, 2014)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

As I’m sitting inside the RV at the RV Park I thought I would right the review. This is my first attempt at RVing. I rented a 30’ class C and thought I would see if this is something my wife and I could do. The answer to that question is yes, but on to the review. 6 months ago I called and reserved a spot through the MWR at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station. The lady was very friendly and helpful. The process was very quick. As the time quickly approached I called a few days before just to confirm my reservation. Again, the lady was helpful. I mentioned that I might arrive after 1700 and she said that wouldn’t be an issue. They would just leave my information, site number, and pass codes to the laundry, men, and women’s bathrooms. A few days before we left I got a confirmation email stating everything was go to go. True to form, we were going to be late I tried to call them the very day I was to arrive. It was on a Monday around 1000 hrs but I kept getting their after hour’s message machine. So I called another number and the person there said they would ensure they knew we were going to be arriving late. I use the GPS coordinates from this site and my TOM TOM took us right to the front gate from San Antonio. Gate guard checked only my ID and let us through which was great. We drove to the park and I left the RV near an empty spot to go find the “host” to get my stuff. I first went to the MWR office which is located in the smaller RV Park about three blocks away. It was locked up tight and there was a clip board hanging by the door but no info on it. So I drove back down to where my RV was. When I got there, there were two there ladies talking with my wife. They said there wasn’t any host because of cut backs and told us to find an empty spot and hook up. So I took the one right next to the RV. Most if not all of the sites are concrete, wide, clean, and with a picnic table. The sites have 30 / 50 amp, water, and sewer. I got us setup and we were set. The park is amazing. The sites are very far apart from each other. You can see the Corpus Christi Bay from just about any on them. They have a 400+ yard fishing pier within yards of where we setup. Around 0800 the next morning I went to the MWR office. They were just opening up so that was good timing. I told them who I was and if they had left my pass codes and site anywhere. I was a little shocked when they said no. So I told them which site I was on and finished checking in. The rec room, laundry (free of charge) and the bathrooms were very clean. Get ready to be in the sun. Very few trees and the ones that are here are small. We were lucky enough to position the RV to when the sun is in the west we had plenty of shade. Be prepared for the wind! Make sure you watch opening and closing the doors. If you use a tablecloth, secure it with something. Wi-Fi is free of charge, you don’t need any pass codes, and fairly reliable. I haven’t had any issues from the site I’m on. Out site is #36 if anyone wanted to know. There are lots of seagulls who love to eat anything you give them. Feed one and they’ll be 50 more in a second. There are jackrabbits and ground squirrels that run around the site. In the evenings coyotes will come through so don’t leave anything out they could get into too. The base is very clean, very open, and flat. So anyone who rides a bicycle will love this place. NEX is right next to the commissary. NEX closes at 1900 hrs. The commissary is closed on Mondays and they open up at 1000 on the other days. They do do an early bird starting a 0900 for 15 items or less. We never went until after 1000. The NEX is nice. Just about anything you could want. They aren’t huge but a good place to get ice, beer, some snacks, and your normal items. Everyone we ran into while working was friendly. They have a wide open golf course, a bowling center (with Subway inside). There is a gym and two racquetball courts. Get up early in the morning a go to the water near the pier. You can pick up crab shells (sea shells)! My wife filled a whole bag full of them. Overall this had been a great vacation. I would recommend this place to any retiree. The ocean (other than the bay) is just a few minutes away. The roads are a little confusing or it just might be me! You can get to any of the tourist sites in a few minutes. I will say don’t try an LEAVE the base around 1430 or so. That is when the Army Depot has their shift change and the traffic getting off base is terrible!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 10 4

Comments

To write a comment please register or