South Carolina 171647
April 26-April 30, 2014
(Updated: February 11, 2017)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We came in from the southeast (?) and our gps took us right where we needed to be. Once you find Ashely Phosphate Rd the rest falls into place. Turn as described onto Stall Rd. At Stall and Midland Park Rd (there's a Big T gas station on the corner) you'll turn right to what is either referred to as Aviation Rd or Perimeter Rd. Another right turn will lead you to Rivers Gate where you will keep to the right to pass through the x ray. There is really no signage mentioning the gate. We arrived on a Sat. and waited at the x ray where a yellow light was flashing for 10-15 minutes. Not knowing if anyone knew we were there we drove ahead to the check point. A guard came out as soon as he saw us and directed us to turn around and wait at the x ray until the light turned green. It was not a difficult turn with our 37' fifth wheel. He explained the unit is staffed week days but on weekends there is usually only one person at the gate and he can't always leave immediately to activate the x-ray. It's really a straight shot through the machine and on to the base. On the plus side: we now know we can fit under a 13'6" clearance. Proceed along the entrance road to Scarlon Rd where you enter the campground. We'd tried calling ahead here and the Foster Creek park and got no answer so we took a chance on JB Charleston as they're first come first served. We got the last spot although there were several rigs in overflow. Site 18 in the Cooper area is nice and roomy with just the right amount of shade. However it's also closest to the road so there was some highway noise. The host sites were clearly identified and listed which was presently on duty. We were given our site and told to come back and register when it was convenient. We appreciated the maps and brochures of the area the host gave out. When we decided to extend out stay a few days later we couldn't find the host so we went to the rec office very nearby. The people on duty gladly extended our stay, stamped our frequent camper log and sold us tickets to local attractions. We were told no one is ever turned away...they make room even when overflow is full. We will definitely stay here again if in the area. (Editor note: ratings adjusted per reviewer)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 2

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
August 22, 2014
Why did you give them such a low rating?
August 28, 2014
In reply to an earlier comment

Sorry, my bad. I surely didn't mean to.....guess I was thinking backwards,I meant to give it the highest. We liked everything about the park and the Charleston area
2 results - showing 1 - 2
Cron Job Starts