4.3 134
South Carolina 171616
18-23 September 2013
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I have stayed at only a handful of military campgrounds, but I can’t imagine that they could get much better than this one. The first impression is established by the hosts, who go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. Wes spent at least 15 minutes with me explaining the base facilities and what was available to retirees, even getting as specific as what night was spaghetti night at the mess hall. The area is immaculate, which one should expect at a military facility, but which you often don’t see at civilian facilities. The shower/restrooms are spotless and indicate the level of attention that the hosts pay to taking care of visitors. The roads, buildings, and other physical plant items were all in good repair and well cared for. My wife and I were in Charleston for a quilting seminar downtown, so I got to spend my ample leisure time at the campground. While at the base I got a new ID card, shopped at the BX and Commissary, and enjoyed the flea market that was held at the area right beside the campground. We were traveling home via Asheville, NC, and I bought tickets for the Biltmore Estate right at the Recreation Center on base. It saved us about $15 per ticket. Downtown Charleston is about a 15-20 minute drive, and the downtown streets are crowded, with both vehicles and pedestrians. I was concerned about ensuring that we would have a space, because Joint Base Charleston doesn’t take reservations. However they did tell me, “We never turn anyone away.” They have an overflow parking area where you can stay if the campground is full. Fortunately for us, it wasn’t. Great campground, run by great people. What more could you want?
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or