Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot?

Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5625

• Hawkeye 84
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Good morning everyone. My subject asks it all. "Do tire covers really prevent dry rot? Do tires rot out that much faster if the vehicle is parked rather than rolling? I appreciate all opinions. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5626

• bill6750
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
The Goodyear tire company does not recomend putting them on. They have a built in tire UV protectent. I still put them on when I am someplace for a long time. It's the sun that hurts them.
Bill & Jean O'Dell
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA, and SS
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2009 Chev. Silverado Crew cab
2013 Can-Am Spyder, Cruiser

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5627

• utmtman
  • Gold Boarder
Well I know it cannot hurt. I also put them on. I started after my two front tires developed dry rot cracks in them at three years old.

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5630

• gesuhan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Just simple common sense says "that if it sets in the sun, it's gonna rot". Cover them regardless of what a company puts in them. I've done testing, anything left out in the elements will suffer. Mother nature has it's own way of destroying.

d.bentley

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5634

• Hawkeye 84
  • Senior Boarder
Yea, I understand, but my truck tires don't dry rot when parked outside all year around. Just wondering if the tire material was different in any way that that would accelerate the dry rotting. Thanks.

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5636

• wb4zit
  • Senior Boarder
I had to quit using covers when my coach is parked at home. Where I live there is lots fog and heavy dew, especially spring and fall. I kept having problems with the brakes on my Freightliner chassis because parts were rusting up and sticking and making loud popping noises when I used the brakes. After paying Freightliner in Gaffney $300 a couple of times to take the brakes apart and clean them the tech asked me if I lived where there was a lot of moisture and did I use tire covers. He told me to quit using them so the air could circulate better and dry the moisture. Never had another rusted break problem.
Mel Linville
US Army MSG (Ret)
'05 Dutch Star DP & '11 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5638

• cdbbdc
  • Fresh Boarder
A better way might be to place a cover over just the outside to block the sun but allow air flow behind it.

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5641

After I retired from the Air Force, I worked at a local RV dealership. We never used covers on anything on the lot. In fact I would bet that any dealership you visit doesn't have their tires covered. Remember some units might stay on the lot for a year. When it comes to tires, you should replaced them every two years. They are trailer tires, they take a beating when you back up into a site. The tread breaks down faster because of this more than the sun. Protect your tires with a rubber spray.

Just my thoughts.

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5663

Brogie1234 wrote:
After I retired from the Air Force, I worked at a local RV dealership. We never used covers on anything on the lot. In fact I would bet that any dealership you visit doesn't have their tires covered. Remember some units might stay on the lot for a year. When it comes to tires, you should replaced them every two years. They are trailer tires, they take a beating when you back up into a site. The tread breaks down faster because of this more than the sun. Protect your tires with a rubber spray.

Just my thoughts.

Replace tires every two years? Do you know what a tire for a motorhome cost? The tires on these beast should be replaced between five and seven years, not by the amount of tread life left on them.
Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re:Do Tire Cover really prevent dry rot? 5 years 5 months ago #5664

• FastEagle
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Here is a very good reference PDF from Michelin.;)

www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/11218411_RV_Guide.pdf

FastEagle
2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds