3.8 63
Florida 170419
Dec16 - Feb 17
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We landed at Eglin in Dec 16,and didn't depart until the end of Feb 17. This was our first full-time winter stay, but not our first rodeo staying in an RV park. We've been RVing for 20+ years. Campground is nice with larger than average sites. No issues with electric, water, or sewer. Wish they'd spend some funds to pave the roads and add more FHU sites. The sound of freedom waking you up is welcomed by most veterans, but be aware your on an Air Force base and the campground is at the end of the runway. Shower house was clean with good water pressure. Maintenance on the shower house took longer than it should have. Handicapped shower head broke and it was not fixed 5-days later when we departed. Laundry rooms were in good repair with 4-each washers and dryers that cost $1.25/load. Staff was mostly friendly and they were always responsive to Facebook communication. This was very important because the phone system didn't work to contact the office the entire time we were there. So broke in fact, you couldn't even leave a message for the staff. This is a known problem MWR has failed to resolve. Contracted management also doesn't care for the campground as well as others we've stayed at that empowered camp hosts to be the local presence. There was trash littering the sites that persisted until a camper picked it up. I spent the entire stay policing cigarette butts left behind by previous occupants. The waterfront area is a work in progress. It's getting better every week thanks to efforts of CE workers. They've been cutting back grasses to allow access to Choctawatchee Bay. Walking and bike trails nearby are in need of repair. Cut trails were nice, but paved areas were in need of repair due to heaving and large cracks. I believe the price exceeds the value of what the campground offers. There were no planned activities, even during holidays, there is no central clubhouse or like venue in either campground, there is no WIFI throughout the campground (you can get WIFI if you go sit in or near the office), no fire pits or campfires allowed, and no cable option. This was simply a decent place to park with FHU available. I'd expect a park of this type to run $30/night or $375/month. One major drawback is no reservations allowed. This is a first come, first served park. It's even more troublesome because of all the homesteading folks due to lax stay policy. Folks are turning Eglin into a family housing area. Forcing a departure for 10-days is a ruse because residents call a buddy to pull in as they pull out, so they can swap back when the minimal time period has passed. We saw at least four different rigs due this to keep their spots. Issues related to the homesteading movement make it difficult to get a spot and folks seemed to keep to themselves more than you'd experience in parks with more turnover. 
Report this review Was this review helpful? 15 2

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
January 22, 2018
This is a spot on review. Homesteaders are in fact a problem here and; as I stated in my review, there is very little regard for rules. We were thinking of returning again this year but the disregard for basic safety rules (such as going the wrong way on the one way loop) has me thinking twice. And given the Jethro clones who turn this into their own little acre, I might not return again.

There was a time when this would not have been tolerated on a military base. Low standards make for a bad experience.
1 results - showing 1 - 1