Florida 310537
April 2013
(Updated: June 03, 2013)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

HORRIBLE PLACE! DON'T STAY HERE! I am just kidding - this place is awesome and the folks who run it are some of the friendliest, most helpful around. I just don't want this place to get all crowded and occupied by homesteaders like some of the bases. A lot of other places have turned into HOUSING AREAS instead of RECREATION areas. It's sort of hard to get to, but the easiest way I think is off Hwy. 9. If you go off the Interstate you'll have to drive through miles and miles of traffic lights. Even if this place is full, there's a wonderful park nearby (Katherine Hannah Abbey I think it's called) with loads of nice spots. The laundry is clean and free, and the "main roost" has a commercial-size kitchen. Lots of social activity: big TVs, books, games, ice cream socials, etc. The small base exchange has most of the basics, but the big store is hidden off Mayport Road. One of my favorite drives in the whole wide world is from the "back" gate (near the airstrip) to the Mayport Ferry, and then up to Amelia Island. Downtown Fernandina is a wonderful place to shop and eat. The Jacksonville Zoo is top notch - my favorite of ALL zoos, including San Diego and the National Zoo ! They have a train, a waterpark for children, and the new Stingray Bay where you can pet stingrays. You can also hand-feed very friendly giraffes. I would go to Mayport just to visit that zoo.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts