Delaware 69975
May 27-31, 2008
(Updated: May 31, 2008)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

GETTING ON BASE; USE THE MAIN GATE off Hwy 1 !!!! Not the North Gate, and NOT the Commercial Gate. Really!! The MPs said it's been that way for a year now. We have a 35 ftr (and towing) and it's no problem - Easy on, Easy off. Yes, this IS a CG at the end of a runway but, we've been at WAY busier/noisier ones, and at least there weren't any trains nearby! The first three sites (1-3) are W/E only, and the other seven are full HU; all near the rear of the pads (which are gravel, but very level). No reservations seemed no problem, as there are only two long-termers, and the rest rotated within days. A WONDERFUL playground right across the street, a nice archery range within walking distance (we used three times), and Asseteque Island Ntl. Seashore is only 1.5 hrs away, and Brandywine area (near Wilmington) is only 1 hr! There is NO laundry at the camp and no laundromat on base. Talked to the folks at the AF Lodging (Bldg.800/801) 677-2840, and explained that I'm at the FamCamp. I asked if I could do laundry there, and they said "Sure, they have a laundry room on every floor with three W/D in each area." Call and ask every time before going over, as this is NOT the standard practice, yet. The problem is that it requires a room card to enter. I just asked passer-bys to open the door for me. Commissiary and BX are just okay. No filling station on base - torn down and a new one is being built. Found a great "takes-everything" recycling center at the opposite end of the base from the FamCamp, near the north gate. Because it's easy-access location, and b/c of the playground, archery range and closeness of all on-base facilities, I would have given location a '5' if it wasn't almost in the direct take-off line of the air strip. I'd give the overall a 3.5, but I can't :) I'd stop here again!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or