4.3 73
California 213564
11-19 June, 2010
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

The Navy's Fiddler's Cove on Coronado Island, about a mile South of the Hotel Del Coronado on the Silver Strand headed toward Imperial Beach is the most convenient location in San Diego for military campers in my opinion, and... it's right on the beach on the inner bay. However, due the renovations that have underway for about two years, they only have about 35 DRY CAMP spots available currently, the other 5 being reserved for tent campers. But... they have large and clean showers, a laundry facility, a camp store...fresh water supply (top off when you pull in) and a dump... etc. I was just over there for a week... and... at $12 a night you can not beat it... especially when civilian campers are paying $50 a night for very cramped dry camping at a state park a mile further down the Silver Strand. They only have a 30 day advance reservations policy for retirees, but you can stay 30 days. Jim, the night manager, told me that they had rarely been full this summer, but with the 4th coming up I expect that will change. The week I was there in mid June... the morning marine layer was present until about 10 AM every day followed by beautiful sunshine... expect a steady breeze most of the time which can gust... so be sure and anchor your awning down with straps and buckets of rocks and wet sand as I did if you extend it (the ground is TOO hard for most screw-in and other anchors. Of the 15 rigs in with me... I was the only one brave enough to extend my awning...
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts