4.5 201
Arizona 180954
Winter 2013-2014
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

If you do the math, you quickly understand why DMAFB has made a strong investment in maintaining Agave Gulch in the outstanding way that it does. It probably brings more than $150k each *month* in peak season revenue, even cut in half that's a staggering sum, and they're always at least a third full (~1.5 million/year?). Just this spring they finished building a new laundry/shower facility on the south side of Quijota Blvd, so it's clear that some of the profits are being reinvested in the "famcamp". I spent the winter here this year and enjoyed every minute of it. The grounds are impeccably clean, the laundry room has about 7 washers/dryers (soon to be twice that) and there's conveniently a coin machine within it. The seasoned, volunteer camp hosts and PJ (or Pam, the famcamp director) are also very informed and responsive. Day trips are led from the camp office, too. During my stay I was challenged by two things outside anyone's control: the coyotes who build their dens beneath the aircraft stowed in the boneyard (walking distance away)--I have a small tasty-looking dog-- and the fiercely strong winds that can make you feel like you're walking on the moon because the dust obscures the otherwise constant blue skies. However, the BX, commissary and two huge fitness centers on base are ideal. There's a bike trail just outside the front gate that will lead you along the Rillito River, too. My guess is that the sunshine makes people here so friendly; I made a number of great new friends. If you want a quiet, clean, level, full hook-up location to spend the winter in sunshine...this is it. And, if you're out by mid-May and don't arrive until October, you'll avoid the searing temperatures that are the opposite of fun. My only criticism is this, and I do hope that DM and Agave Gulch's decision-makers read this site: The existing laundry room is so ridiculously narrow that you can barely open the dryer doors, let alone permit two people to walk past one another with laundry in hand. In that glorious DOD bureaucratic way, they built the south laundry room exactly the same way. Utter stupidity. Literally and figuratively, you can do better... and should have. Oh...and...could you leave the Wilmot Gate (right next to the famcamp) open during the weekend? Not a lot to ask given what retirees bring to DMAFB and the Tucson community!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
June 24, 2014
Good afternoon, Do you think this will be a good place for My husband and & I and 2 dogs for newbies? We have a 34-7 5th wheel love AZ my Aunt lives in Casa Grande, Mn Winters are to hard on us. My husband is retired military seems like this may be better then Apache Flats.? Can any one give me idea's about how long we can stay at a time?

Thank you Karen
1 results - showing 1 - 1