Arizona 94006
April 19-22, 2012
(Updated: April 23, 2012)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This campground is within Camp Navajo, 12 miles west of downtown Flagstaff with easy access off Interstate 40. It is located at the edge of a ponderosa pine forest about a mile from the main gate. This would ordinarily be a quiet setting but the nearby train tracks have a heavy volume of traffic. Even with a fan on for white noise, you can hear and feel the rumble of the locomotive engines. No train whistles. The sites and interior roads are gravel. The sites are spaced far apart, providing a degree of privacy. The bath house appears brand new. Each site has water, and 50, 30, and 20 amp electric connections. No sewer hookup. The dump station is located at the campground exit but the outbound lane is blocked by parked army vehicles. There is no commissary on this base and the nearest thing to an exchange is a trailer equipped with a small selection of items. This is a National Guard training base is often empty except for a small admin staff and security personnel. You need a permit from the fire department for a campfire. This permit requires you to “clear the ground down to mineral soil for a distance of 15 feet around the campfire.” You are also required to have a shovel but they waived that for me since I promised to use garden hose to extinguish my campfire. If you are satisfied with a remote location with little or no amenities and no sewer hookups, this campground is adequate. In my opinion, it is nicer than the campground at Fort Tuthill which we visited while we were here.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 2

Comments

To write a comment please register or