Alabama 99637
1997 to 2012
(Updated: November 16, 2012)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Well, finally all the whiners about us old timers have won. The park closed on Sep 30 and all of us old timers have had to move. The park is scheduled to open again on Apr 1 and be open until Sep 30. It is everyone's opinion that after the closing on Sep 30, 2013, that will be the end of Maxwell/Gunter Rec Area. I had a place at the park for 15 years and never had a problem with day campers. I did have several day campers talk about us permanent campers and I was quick to tell them that us permanent campers paid the bills after Sep 1 thru Mar 31 when no one was ever seen. Fishermen would want to be at the park for a week or two when the Crappie were biting. Other than that you never saw them until the following year. We did have a couple of cranky old retired guys but if you were intimidated by a cranky old retired guy then maybe you should choose another profession. There were and have always been available sites for people that wanted to become long time campers. When the park closed there were at least 10 to 15 nice water front sites available for renting. Not all people will ever be pleased. My wife and I took a 5,000 mile trip in our motor home this past spring. We stayed in some of the most beautiful parks out West. There was always someone grumbling about something. While Maxwell/Gunter did not have all the luxuries of a motor home resort, it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been too. It was my sanctuary for 15 years. It is my hope that it will remain open but I seriously doubt it. I just hope that in the summer of 2014 when it does not open that some of you that did the most complaining bring your family and you remember how beautiful the Lake was and I hope you are sorry that you complained enough to shut this place down. Shame on You !!!!!!!!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 9 17

Comments

To write a comment please register or