Alabama 99702
December 3, 2009
(Updated: December 04, 2010)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We stopped by for only a one night stay. Although it is the "slow" season, we didn't see many sites open for camping. Actually, it seemed that 90% of the sites are occupied by long-term residents. Although, hardly anyone was around. It appears they keep their RV there and only visit occasionally. While I understand the financial benefit to the campground for long-term residents, many other military campgrounds have found a good compromise. I'm not sure that compromise is here. MANY of the long-term residents have built docks on the lake at their site, but has marked them as "Private Use Only". What? A military campground allowing PRIVATE modifications and restricting use to them!?!? One long-term resident has even built a building connected to their trailer. "Homesteading" has gone overboard here! It no longer seems like a military RECREATION facility, rather a military HOUSING area. But it's not all bad - this is a good, quiet location on the lake. It appears there's plenty of activities for the family during the prime season. Doug, the office staff was friendly and helpful.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
May 02, 2010
Unfortunately Maxwell AFB runs their campgrounds this way. They hire managers and pretty much let them do as they please. Take a look at Mid-Bay Shores near Niceville, Florida. Many sites remain empty while managers tell you they are full. Not sure how to resolve this situation, I have reported the situation to Maxwell but not much changes.
1 results - showing 1 - 1